- Skin Colour
Minimum plate no. 4 on colour chart [PL 19] on the most poorly coloured side of the fruit
- Total Soluble Solids (TSS%)
Minimum 11.0 (SmartFreshSM recommendation 12.5)
- Flesh Firmness
Maximum : 9.0
Minimum: 5.0 (4.5 if 13% TSS)
Optimum : 8.0 to 7.0 (Not for inspection purposes) In areas where fruit may develop a red tinge on the suture or tip 8.0 kg is considered optimum. For other areas 7.0 kg is the optimum flesh firmness.
Note: Maximum flesh firmness may increase with 0.5 kg for each 1% increase in the minimum TSS. However, if TSS allows harvesting at the maximum flesh firmness or firmer, delay harvest to optimum flesh firmness if skin colour is not at least a no. 4 on colour chart – [PL 19].
Generic information [PL2]
Other Quality Requirements At Pack
- Quality Requirements
Packaging And Cold Storage
- Internal Packaging (Standard Loose Pack)
Standard 5 kg loose pack
Use 300 x400 mm pulp or plastic trays.
Use300 x400 mm paper inter-sheet between plums and top tray.
Use 300 x400 mm white corrugated sheet (58 g) on top of the fruit.
Note: Do not use bags on Songold unless treated with SmartFreshSM.
No special requirement.
- Other Packs
Refer to stone fruit industry packaging guidelines Pome Stone Handling Protocols
- Cold Storage
- The default temperature regime for Songold plums is PD9. Harvest maturity, market and skin colour must be taken into consideration when selecting the shipping regime. As a general rule, fruit harvested softer than the optimum flesh firmness can be shipped at PD7 and firm fruit in the beginning of the season at a PDX. An exception is plums treated with SmartFreshSM.
- The maximum recommended cold storage period for Songold plums in the standard loose pack is 42 days from the harvest date. For fruit packed in punnets or thrift bags the recommended maximum cold storage period is 35 days.
- Internal disorders develop exponentially during cold storage and cold storage should be as short as possible. This is especially applicable to fruit harvested at the end of the season for each specific area. For generic information on internal disorders see [PL5] and [PE6].
Generic information SmartFreshSM link
- Dispensations for 2021 Season
Dispensations for 2021 season will be shared here.